St. Mary the Virgin, Grafton Regis, Church Bells
Survey reference SP758469 Number of Bells 5
Tenor Weight 9-0-2, Key G sharp, Codes, To, Gr
of the bells are very old; the oldest was recast in 1838 but
unfortunately its inscription: "In Multis Annis resonet Campana
Johannis" (For many years may the bell John sound out) was not renewed.
A second bell was recast in 1906 with its inscription: "Ave Maria Gratia
Plena" (Hail Mary full of Grace).
Two other bells are dated 1625 and are inscribed “God Save Our King”.
In 1948 the bells were rehung. A fifth bell, a treble, dedicated to
those who served in the Second Great War was added at this time.
The Bells are housed in the tower built by Sir John Woodville in the
14th century. The monument of Sir John Woodville, ancestor of Elizabeth
Woodville, is in the north aisle of the church.
The brother of Elizabeth Woodville became the second Earl Rivers after
the execution of his father by Warwick after the battle at Edgecote. In
his will he asked his nephew and heir Thomas, Marquess of Dorset, to
sell sufficient underwood from the woods at Grafton to buy a bell
for the church as a memorial to the Woodvilles.
In 1906 framework in the belfry was repaired at a cost of £50.
Bell ringing at St Mary the Virgin is managed by the Towcester branch of
the Peterborough Diocesan Guild of Bell Ringers
A letter was received from The Bell Foundry which confirms the weights
and notes of the bells. This is then followed by copies of the
certificates and photographs of the boards recording some of the more
notable peals, the earliest being for 1st June 1949.
The weights and notes of the bells are:
Cwts. Qrs. Lbs.
Treble 4 3 6
2nd 6 1 8
4th 5 0 22
3rd 6 3 10
Tenor 9 0 2
Boards recording some of the more notable peals, the earliest being for
1st June 1949.